CORNELL COOPERATIVE EXTENSION OF COLUMBIA & GREENE COUNTIES
Agriculture and Horticulture Educator Full Time – Acra & Hudson, NY
CCE of Columbia & Greene Counties is seeking full time qualified and experienced educator to serve as the primary agriculture point of contact for the farmers in Columbia and Greene Counties to assist with program development, delivery, evaluation and administrative direction, management and coordination in the area of Agriculture, Horticulture, and Master Gardener program including working with volunteers. Work in conjunction with association staff, Regional Cornell Teams (i.e. Eastern New York Commercial Horticulture Program (“ENYCHP”), Capital Area Agriculture and Horticulture Program (“CAAHP”), local organizations, and partner agencies to provide resources.
- Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture, animal or plant science or a related field plus 4 years transferrable relevant evidence based research experience (examples of the evidence-based research experience may be: research assistant involved in active research project, involvement in community-based research project, or involvement in the government (or NGO) research project). A Master’s Degree in agriculture, animal or plant science or a related field may substitute for a Bachelor’s degree plus 4 years evidence based research experience.
- Experience relevant to the role of this position including in animal science and horticulture.
- Ability to initiate, plan, organize, implement, teach, and evaluate informal educational programs.
- Experience in guiding and collaborating with volunteers.
- Ability to identify and develop volunteer leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work effectively with advisory boards and committees, community and funding partners.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through oral, written, and visual channels using traditional tools as well as innovative applications of electronic technology (e.g., computers, audio, video, etc.). Ability to frequently and effectively communicate verbally and in writing with program participants’ employees and others.
- Ability to effectively participate in professional team efforts.
- Ability and willingness to work with diverse audiences and maintain cultural sensitivity.
- Ability to identify and utilize program resources from the organization and the community.
- Ability to relate effectively to co-workers, advisors, community and professional leaders.
- Ability to plan and organize personal work responsibilities according to priorities developed with the immediate supervisor.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership, supervision and guidance to a variety of groups and individuals including staff and volunteers; and to lead and delegate and participate effectively in professional team efforts; work well with people and meet individual and /or community needs.
- Ability to secure grants and contracts.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work as part of a team.
- Ability to read and write in English.
- Ability to meet frequent travel requirements associated with this position. A valid NYS driver's license with the ability to drive and driving record acceptable for agency insurance coverage are required.
- Ability to frequently work in outdoor/ agricultural settings and weather conditions including extreme heat and cold.
- Ability to frequently lift, move and/or transport supplies and equipment, including by climbing stairs and/or in outdoor/ agricultural settings with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check requirements.
- Ability to work flexible hours, which may include evenings and/or weekends, as appropriate.
- Proficiency with windows-based software including use of the internet and Microsoft Office Suite including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Excel.
- Coursework or experience in education and teaching to an adult audience highly preferred.
- Experience with Cooperative Extension or other similar educational organizations.
- Ability to speak Spanish.
Compensation of $21.98 per hour. Excellent benefits, based on eligibility, including:
Vacation, Sick and Personal time Paid Holidays NYS Health Insurance Program (including Dental Insurance) NYS Retirement Long-term Disability Insurance Voluntary Tax Deferred Annuity Voluntary Flexible Spending Accounts Voluntary Group Universal Life Insurance Voluntary Personal Accidental Insurance Voluntary Legal Plan Insurance Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance Voluntary Auto and Homeowner’s Insurance Voluntary Pet Insurance Voluntary New York’s College Savings Program
All applications must be received on-line by February 24, 2017. Position closing dates may change based on Association needs.
To Apply & For Further Details:
Reference position: WDR-00009895 CCE of Columbia & Greene Counties Agriculture and Horticulture Educator Full Time – Hudson, NY (Open)
Full instructions on how external applicants may apply through Workday may be found here: http://cce.cornell.edu/sites/default/files/applying_for_a_job_-_external_5-2016_v2.pdf
Cornell Cooperative Extension is a collaboration among Cornell University, the United States Department of Agriculture, the State of New York, and the residents of New York State. Per NYS Law, county and regional extension service associations are subordinate governmental agencies. This employment opportunity is with the entities listed and not with Cornell University. Cornell Cooperative Extension is an employer and educator recognized for valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities. Individuals who bring a diverse perspective and are supportive of diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.